University of Tennessee Knoxville Medical Center
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit Renovation
I. C. Thomasson Associates Inc., (ICT) provided mechanical, plumbing, and fire protection engineering services for this 56-bed NICU facility at the UT Medical Center.
- NICU cares for about 800 babies a year.
- Integrated into the unit’s design are private rooms with individual control of noise, temperature and indirect, dimmable lighting.
- Mothers and babies share the same room, easing anxiety and encouraging bonding during the newborn’s critical first days.
- Rooms are arranged into coves of 10-12 rooms, each isolated from noise and light.
- The unit is the region’s first and only designated Level III private room Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.